How Do I Prove Marriage for I-751 or I-360?

If you enjoy my blogposts, please give me a like by clicking on the heart above. Thank you and happy reading. 

Spouses want to know what evidence, what documents they can send to Immigration to prove that their marriage was real. “Proving” that the marriage was valid, and not a contract signed to get a green card, is needed to get the temporary green card. Sending the right documents is ALSO important in an I-360 Violence Against Women Act case, if the abuser spouse or parent does not want to file a petition for the foreigner. Sending the right documents is ALSO important when requesting an I-751 Removal of Conditions to get the permanent green card.

Can I Send Photos to Prove the Marriage?

Immigration basically requests that applicants send documents to prove that the couple knotted up their finances: joint bank accounts, joint names on mortgage, birth certificates of children born to the couple, and joint tax returns. When an I-360 or I-751 does not include these documents, please see an expert VAWA immigration attorney. That will not be an easy case to win and hiring an experienced lawyer will up your chances (and the speed of the approval).

As someone who has divorced, I can understand that mixing up bank accounts and life insurance is something one does not easily do with a second spouse. Though Immigration must consider all evidence submitted, some photographs carry more weight, more importance than others. Selfies are useless. I recommend including photographs of the couple on Father’s Day, Mother’s Day, and at graduation ceremonies. Two spouses who have publicly declared themselves as a couple stand side by side during these important moments, perhaps visiting one set of parents first, and then another, perhaps going to one graduation first, and then another. Boyfriends go alone to these family occasions. If the man is a husband, as Emeli Sande sings, “You will find him, you’ll find him next to me.” No excuses. Even the government knows that if he wanted to be with you, he would be.

Documents Throughout the Years

Importantly, Immigration wants to see the couple’s evolution over a long period of time. So, if there are photographs or documents spanning several years, those should be included. Rather than include the last five months of joint bank statements, include the first joint bank statement from, say, 2021 and then one from each year since. Only include a bank statement if you have carefully reviewed the transactions for that month. In one case, a husband provided us with a joint bank statement and one of the transactions was for a clinic where pregnancy terminations were performed. It is possible that the wife paid for a friend’s abortion, but it is also possible that she terminated the pregnancy of their child without telling her husband.

We are here to guide you with compassion and expertise through the I-360 VAWA and I-751 Removal of Conditions processes. Call 954.385.0157 or click “For Future Clients” today for a consultation.

Disclaimer – These entries are based on real life events. Family member names, when used, are real. Client names are changed for privacy.

Follow us on Facebook

Share with your Community, Family and Friends

Recommended Posts