Choose Family I-130 I-751 and I-360 Immigration

During my recent trip to Tanzania, Africa taught me a second important lesson. If ever given the choice between family and non-family, choose family. My daughters and I went on safari for 10 days and it was a wondrous time, not only because of the animals in the jungle but because the family shared quality time talking. I could trust family when I was in the unknown, and they could trust me. This made me realize: when possible, clients should choose family petitions (I-130 Petition for Alien Relative, I-751 Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence and I-360 Petition for Amerasian, Widow(er), or Special Immigrant VAWA) by family over all other types of cases.

File I-130 I-751 and I-360 to Avoid Deportation

Likewise, in the Immigration Land Jungle that is becoming a legal permanent resident or U.S. citizen, clients should trust family members. After my trip to Africa, I can confirm that family will help (to file an I-130 Petition for Alien Relative application that may take 5 years to process or to help you scare away a rock hyrax that is climbing on the outside of the canvas tent). Even when family does not “help” because the U.S. citizen spouse became an abuser or the family is now over through death or divorce, family cases are always the best to file. Immigration takes just as long to review removal of conditions I-751 signed by a happily married couple as it does to review I-751 signed by only the applicant – because of a divorce or death of U.S. citizen spouse.

If a foreigner has a U.S. citizen brother or sister, they MUST file a I-130 sibling family petition. That sibling can easily prove their immigration status as a U.S. citizen by showing a passport or naturalization certificate. They can also always prove they are at least half-brother or half-sister by showing their birth certificate. I have seen an immigration judge tell a Mexican woman that he would not deport her if her U.S. citizen brother filed an I-130 petition for her. It really is that important.  It’s like having a brother or sister who lives in Tanzania and asking them for help when you go into the Serengeti.

For those who enter the U.S. without a family member (spouse, child, parent or sibling) with immigration status here, know that Immigration Land is a jungle. The government has experienced attorneys working every day in Immigration Court to get foreigners deported. Foreigner with receipts for I-130 I-751 and I-360 cases have an excellent defense and will probably not get deported. Repeat, with only the receipt of a family immigration application, even before the case is approved, it may be possible to avoid deportation.

Is it possible to marry another non-status foreigner and survive the government’s efforts to deport you? Yes, just like it is possible to go on a safari alone. I imagine it would be quite sad and a bit scary.

Disclaimer – These entries are based on real life events. Family member names, when used, are real. Client names are changed for privacy.

Recommended Posts